Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Gluttony Is One of the 7 Deadly Sins, Isn't It: Game 119 Thoughts

Sox Lose: 10-4, and it wasn't that close.

Sitting at home, watching a sporting event on the telly, one tends to emote within the ebb and flow of the game. Too bad there was no ebb or flow in tonight's White Sox team. They were thoroughly battered in every phase of the game.

And I watched every excrutiating minute of it.

I sat in front of my PC, TV and AT&T and devoured every error, strikeout, wild pitch and flyout. I didn't miss a single hit, run or bunt that Jose Contreras and Neal Cotts gave up. I caught every swing of the suddenly almighty Mark Grudzadjfhiiouwfk as he barely missed the cycle by a double, a measely double. (He probably didn't eat a whole bowl of Wheaties this morning.) I witnessed every Mack misplay in CF, every first-pitch swing by AJ, every long, harmless flyball by Joe Crede. I even heard the home plate umpire yell at Reggie Sanders to "get the heck back in the batter's box" cuz he was holding up the game.

So what's next?

Time for confession.

Me: Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been 10 months since my last confession. I've been stuffing my face with awful baseball, listening to two terrible cronies wax philosophical about putting something on the board. I've inhaled putrid pitching, drank in bad baserunning, and chowed on futile fielding. I've become obese on Ozzie's questionable line-up moves, bogged down from baffling batting, and just plain full of watching bad baseball. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, Father.

Father Babe Ruth: Don't worry about it, kid. Yah can't win 'em all. Now go out and eat five hotdogs, drink 5 beers and kiss 5 dames, and all will be forgotten. It worked for me, kid. Yah can't let the sins of one game affect the party of the same night. So get to it, kid. **Wink, Wink**

------------------------------------

Bad Ozzie Move of the Game: (I'm gonna limit myself to just two for this game.)
  1. Not starting a very hot hitting Brian Anderson. Not only did I lose my pick to click, but his and my replacement, Rob Mackowiak, had 3 strikeouts and 2 misreads in CF. I have a new knickname for Mack: The King of the Right-Angle Route cuz he is always making a ninety degree turn when balls art hit over his head.
  2. Leaving Count in as long as he did could only hurt his arm. 98 pitches were way too many for a pitcher whose innings over the last two seasons including playoffs have skyrocketed in comparison to previous years of his career. The Sox have the most underused bullpen in the bigs, and overusing Contreras will only hurt down the road.
Good Ozzie Move of the Game: I actually didn't mind the using of all his lefthanded bats (the exception being Mack for BA). Complaining about the warning issued by the homeplate ump was wise too. There was no call for the warning, and Ozzie was right to be upset. I'm actually surprised he didn't get himself thrown out of the game cuz it was awful to watch.

Big Ups of the Game...Paulie for 3 hits, Mike MacDougal for still dominating (although I have no idea why Ozzie even used him), and Alex Cintron for salvaging some pride for this team by hitting a grand slam in the 9th.

And My White Sox Person of the Game...



Roger Bossard...cuz the field looked good if the product on it did not!



Sox Record: 71-48 6.5 behind Detroit in the Division and 1.0 ahead of the Twinkies in the WC.

1 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

So, it isn't just AJ.

Padilla started a lot more shit last night against the Angels.

8/17/2006 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter