Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Hate Moral Victories: Game 112 Thoughts

Sox looooose 6-7

-This was a tale of two games for the Sox. They started piss poor, but came roaring back and nearly pulled off the 7 run comeback. I know it's a moral victory, clawing back like this, but I can't stand losing such an important game. It makes it even worse that the Twins came back and won earlier in the day.

-I'm sure you'll hear plenty about this from Bristol, but Randy Johnson did in fact go through six innings without giving up a hit. Gooch led off the seventh with a single. That hit helped the Sox change gears from shitty to good.

-Before I get to the good stuff I have to talk about the bad stuff some more.

-Garland looked headed for disaster from the get go. Damon led off with a triple. After Damon scored, the Yanks had runners on first and second with no outs and looked destined for a big inning. Garland wormed out of the jam, and proceeded to put more runners on base in the following innings. Ironically enough, Garland wasn't hurt by having runners on (except maybe by fatigue) he gave up the next four runs via three homers. One of which was to Melky Cabrera.

-In all Garland gave up six runs. One of those runs scored on Riske's watch.

-The Big Unit came into the game having failed to fan any of the last 52 batters he faced, but he took care of business early, striking out Pablo to lead off the game.

-The Sox ended up scoring two runs of off the Unit, and had the bases loaded with no outs. Then Ron Villone came on and stopped the Sox from putting another run up on the board. It was pathetic, we couldn't even get one run up on the board.

-At that point in the game, I admit, I lost all hope. I thought maybe if we scored 2 or 3 when we had the bases loaded we might be able to do something, but after we left emptyhanded I was fully discouraged. Until Tadahito and Joe Crede of course...

-So back to the good stuff. Tadahito hit a one out solo shot, and then came Joe. We readily joke about man crushes on different Sox players on SouthSideSox. At this point my man crush for him is developing to man love. Crede hit a three run jack to pull the Sox within one. After his homer in the bottom of the eighth, I basically expected the Sox to pull out the win. I didn't care the Mo' Rivera came on in relief for Farnesworth; hell, we beat Mo' yesterday!

-Alas, close but no cigar. (Pretend you don't know the outcome, and try and feel the tension and excitement of the game) Cintron predictably grounded out in the ninth, but then BA was hit by a pitch after going down in the count! We have a pulse! Pods weakly struck out (a bunt would have worked there). Then Gooch singled in front of 65 year old Bernie Williams. We have life yet! Thome stepped up to the plate. He ran the count to 2-0, and then he took a strike. Next pitch, it's left up a bit higher that Posada wanted; it looks like it's going to eek through the hole; but NO! Robby Cano backhands the ball and flips to Jeter game over.

-I'm back to being demoralized now. The Sox are a big tease, what can I say? With luck the Sox look at this as a confidence builder and aren't demoralized by falling ever so short.

-One funny moment. After Crede's homer, AJ followed by getting jammed so badly he fell to his knees. The cameraman then flashed to the Sox dugout showing Crede and JD cracking up.

-Big Ups of the Night to everyone who contributed to the comeback. So Pods, Cintron, and AJ you get no love from me tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Sox Player of the Game

I gotta go split vote here.

Joe Crede (11)

Tadahito Iguchi (6)

Picture function isn't working for some reason

Sox Record: 66-46

3 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

In all fairness, and to balance the negativity of The Buerhle Bile File, we really should start a section called I heart Joe Crede" cuz that dude is clutch.

I can honestly say that at the time of his atbat against Farnsworth, I just knew he was gonna come thru in some way. The match up was too heavily swayed in his favor. I thought he'd step all over a first pitch fastball; I was wrong -- he stepped all over a second pitch fastball.

Really, Joe is just a right handed hitting Robin Ventura. And we didn't even mention his early inning defense.

8/09/2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger Fornelli said...

I'm not gay, but I'd totally sleep with Joe Crede.

8/10/2006 12:50 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention Crede's glove; I guess I got excited by his bat. Well, Crede had 3 or 4 great plays during the game, and they all seemed to come in quick succession.

And yes, Mrs. Pods is quite hot.

8/10/2006 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter