Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Buehrle Bile File Says, "I Feel Better": Game 135 Recap

White Sox Win 5-3!!!!

The Buehrle Bile File Says...

Earlier today I was miffed at things beyond my control. Obviously I have no control over how Mark Buehrle pitches or how the team inexplicably plays like the Bad News Bears from time to time. But that I also have no control over Blogger and it's arcane hidden features is a mind-shank. So believe it or not I tossed and turned in my sleep all night and awoke rather early for a Saturday hoping for a change in the things that were vexing me.

It would not be long before I was feeling better.

Yeah, the first thing -- the absolute first thing -- I checked before walking outside to get the paper, before going to the toliet, before brushing my teeth, even before rubbing the sleepy-dust outta the corners of my eyes was my 'puter to see if Blogger was letting me comment again.

It was, and I grinned slightly.

Wating 10 hours for a baseball game when I have nothing to do on a Saturday is torturous considering the unsettled state I'd slept in and knowing Jeckyl & Hyde Buehrle was on the mound today. I didn't even have Notre Dame football to distract me during the long afternoon. Nope, I'd be forced to overuse the recall button on the television tonight with both games running simultaneously. No laundry, no yard work, no fantasy drafts, these things lead to an afternoon of constructive nose-picking and butt scratching. (I know, too much info.)

Finally 6:10 PM rolls around, and the Sox go down easy in the top of the first inning. (My mini-grin by that time had gone the way of the dinosaur: bye-bye.) My demeanor needed a shot in the arm from Mark Buehrle, something to assuage my animosity.

Would I get it?

This is Mark Buehrle; are you kidding me?

The Kansas City demons -- Grudz, Teahan and Sweeney -- combined for a quick run, but an inning-ending DP saved the day, and the mounting frown stopped where it was. No one was to be found commenting here and there were very few people at SSS neither. After one inning of play the White Sox trailed 1-0.

Ah, Mark Buehrle, that guy's guy. He tried to look good diving after the first ball put in play (a grounder to Gooch at 2nd), but he didn't fool The Biler! No way! I could see right thru his ruse, his attempt at trickery! That guy only thinks he can pull the wool over my eyes. But I could see. I could see it would be another long long game and the Evil Mark would rear his ugly head again.

I was kinda wrong. Mark wasn't Evil Mark tonight, but he wasn't Good Mark completely either. His line was 6 innings pitched, 9 hits, 3 earned runs; a Quality Start but not an impressive one. He needed 3 DPs to escape innings and let a non-play (BA misplayed a long double in CF leading to 2 runs) affect him a little.

So he was Average Mark tonight, and he got the W as the Sox scored 2 in the top of the 7th to take back the lead he gave up. The Biler is torn. Mark got hit hard, but pitched over a lot. Mark got the W, but he should have against the Royals. The Biler doesn't know whether to be pissed at his giving up the lead or happy at the QS. I guess The Biler will just be indifferent considering the alternative coulda been a loss. And the win left a smile on my face again which is more than I can say for how I felt last night. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.

Biler out.

Awards Time---------------------------------

Bad Ozzie Move of the Game: This is being picky, but JD looked like he coulda used a night off. He was 0-4 with the golden sombrero, and maybe Ozzie shoulda known he needed a break.

Good Ozzie Moves of the Game: Bullet Time, Baby!!!!
  • Pablo in LF had a beautiful bunt single, something Nudnik only dreams about lately.
  • Gload DHing & sitting Thome. I think Paulie hits better when he plays 1st.
  • Small ball: 2 sac bunts and sac flys. The Sox won without a HR.
  • Pulling Mark at the right time, and using Mikey MacD, Thornton and Jenksy.
Play of the Game: The KC CFer lost a Gooch pop-up in the twilight allowing the winning run to score, and he wasn't he close to it.

Big Ups of the Game: Joe Crede, he of the postgame pie in the face -- congrats on reaching 90 RBIs, and reluctantly Mark Buehrle.

And my White Sox Players of the Game are...



Mike MacDougal (1)





Matt Thornton (2)





Bobby Jenks (2)


These guys really need some recognition for being the stoppers, so here it is.

Sox Record 79-56......and still up 0.5 in the WC.

3 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Jeeves, I updated the sidebars for you.

Detroit loses 7-2 in 10 innings.

Frank Thomas hit another home run today, the 3 run variety.

9/02/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Great work James!
Sorry I couldn't join you for the in-game banter, I had a loooong meeting in the city. I was hoping the Count would be there for you.

9/02/2006 11:03 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Oh yah, Pander, do you want dibs on a recap? You can choose any game, just give me a headsup so I don't put up a double post.

9/02/2006 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter