Tuesday, September 05, 2006

[Sigh] :Game 138 Thoughts

ChiSox lose [sigh] 0-1

(Again, if I say Sox, I mean ChiSox)

-All this game did was depress me. It was so depressing that even Javy's lights out performance can't cheer me up. Vazquez pitched a complete game (8 innings), allowed 3 hits, and only 1 run. He struck out 11 and only allowed more than one hit in one inning. He retired the last 13 batters he face, refusing to blow up in the sixth or seventh. File this performance under, vs. the Blue Jays Javy, and the Javy Kenny thought he was getting Javy.

-The Sox manage only 4 hits. [Sigh]. Ryan Sweeney made his debut and got half of them. [Sigh].
-Even though the Sox only managed 4 hits, they grounded into 2 DP's, rather Paul Konerko grounded into two DP's. Crede lined out into another one. [Sigh].
-The Sox couldn't capitalize on a bases loaded situation or a runner on second and no outs or a runner on third with one out. [Sigh].
-The Sox K'ed 7 times. [Sigh].

-The Sox were completely shut down by Kason (Again, not a typo) Gabbard. [Deep Sigh]. If I were facing the White Sox down the stretch, I would scour the minor leagues for three lefties and have them pitch. The Sox suck against new pitchers and are poor against lefties. I jokingly said, "Geez, a lefty nobody from the minors, sounds like a recipe for disaster for us." in the preview, and of course we were absolutely baffled by his slow stuff. This game should have been served up to us on a silver platter. The Sox hitter's should have been licking their chops, but instead they disappeared. I seriously think the Royals stole our mojo when we played them.

-The Red Sox have one of the worst staffs in the majors. Their team ERA ranks 25th in the majors, but the high powered ChiSox offense (number 2 in AVG and runs in the bigs) has managed just a mere 3 runs. Pathetic.

-The Sox, save for Sweeney, Ozuna, and Javy looked flat. There was no passion, no fire, and no desire to win. They basically were lacking all the things I said they needed to find.

-Bobby Jenks, Jermaine Dye, and Mark Buehrle went home to Chicago to get nagging injuries looked at. [Sigh].

Onto the awards...

Bad Ozzie Move of the Night & Good Ozzie Move of the Night - N/A. He managed this game fine. There was nothing particularly good that he did, and nothing particularly bad. He needs to light a fire under these guys. So I guess, I'm saying his bad move of the day is that he didn't motivate his club as a whole, but that's hardly Ozzie's fault. The Sox are a veteran team and need to realize that if they keep blowing opportunities they'll be sitting at home in October.

Play of the Game - With runners on first and third with one out, Crede ripped a ball down the line. Lowell snagged it and fired to first. Youkilis made a nice pick to double off Gooch and end the inning.

Big Ups of the Night - To Sweeney and Pablo. They are the only batters that brought anything to the plate. Pablo had a nice diving snag in the field as well, which I must note after giving him so much flack for his lack of fielding prowess at the beginning of the year.

Sox Player of the Game



Javy Vazquez (4)






Sox Record: 79-59

20 Comments:

Blogger Jeeves said...

Brownie points to Iguchi for his smart bunt single. He saw Lowell playing really deep at third, so he laid down a bunt.

Who's better Charlotte or Chicago?

Gabbard vs Charlotte in July

7 IP, 2 hits, 2 BB, 6 K

Gabbard vs Sox today

7 IP, 3 hits, 2 BB, 6 K

We're one hit better than Charlotte

9/05/2006 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sox fans, please give up on the sox. Make yourself happy. For those who still think sox will make playoff, they are just wishing. If they do BELIEVE so, they don't know how baseball is played.

9/05/2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Apparently you don't know how baseball is played, anonymous, well I guess how long baseball is played would be more appropriate. Although the Sox are sucking up a storm, they are only 1.5 games back with 20+ games left in the season. I'm not overly hopeful that the Sox will turn it on, but there still is some time.

Hey James, did you win your softball game?

9/05/2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

I'm shaking off a Labor Day Hangover which I "labored" hard to get, but these last few games would have driven me to drink anyways.

What I'd like to know is what the deal is with Mark Buehrle? I hadn't heard anything about this, and will he miss his next start.

One good sign, the starting pitching is coming around. One good week and we can take over the WC again.

9/05/2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

"Mark Buehrle also felt a bit of back soreness prior to Monday's game and then felt something once again during his side session. On Tuesday, Buehrle was sent back to Chicago for precautionary measures, but according to White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider, Buehrle checked out fine.

"It's just basic stuff, normal wear and tear," said Schneider of Buehrle. "He was going home early anyway, so I was just getting him checked out. But it's nothing." "
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060905&content_id=1647261&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

It seems like he'll be back, but that's rather ominous. I'll post an injury update tomorrow.

9/05/2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Yeah, Jeeves, we are the returning Champs and we started off well, even if I didn't. I was an 0-fer, and sat out the last few innings cuz I wasn't feeling good.(Needless to say, it was a long day at work today.)

9/05/2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

That's good, at least we got one winning team associated (although indirectly) to this site. Just think of yourself as Jermaine Dye. Big time slugger who had an off day when he wasn't feeling 100%

9/05/2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Yeah, maybe a post about the recent spate of injuries would be appropos to the current state of the team.

And anonymous must be a hating Cubs fan.

9/05/2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

LOL!!! Now that made me laugh.

BIG.TIME.SLUGGER!!! In my dreams!

Believe it or not, my game more resembles Rob Mackowiak, I am THE platoon guy, the guy who plays everywhere adequately but none spectacularly.

9/05/2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Does that mean your coach inappropriately puts you in CF too?

9/05/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Not inpropriately or unnecessarily, cuz I would never get in there if our normal CFer, who is the fastest whiteboy I've ever seen, was at the game.

But I have played it, and I look like Mack compared to BA.

9/05/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

In the course of the last year, I have every, and I mean every, position on the field. And honestly, the hardest was 1st base, especially since it's 16 inch. For about 3 weeks straight, I covered it for the normal guy and my fingers still hurt. I can't crack my knuckles on my right hand. But I'm used to it.

9/05/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Yah I know what you mean. I broke my ring finger playing vball at the start of the season (played the rest of the season) and then went to the doc to get it fixed. It finally healed and I went ahead and broke it playing softball and now it's crooked. AND this year, I completely dislocated my pinkie. It was outrageous. 100% out. The doc said it was the worst dislocation he'd ever seen.

The crazy things we do for sports, eh?

9/05/2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

So how did you type?

9/05/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

much more slowly than I do now, but thank goodness is was just a pinkie.

(The ring finger was two years ago)

9/05/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Amazing, after the start Thome got off to, who thought we'd be sitting here talking about how we miss The Big Hurt?

What a long strange trip it is.

9/06/2006 4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'll be around to make a PTC, but if so---

With the way my picks have been going (namely, picking the red-hot Dye and having him go 0-fer with four K's) I'm going to pick the Red Sox.

It's the least I can do for the W. Sox.

And anonymous, why not own up to your comments?

9/06/2006 2:46 PM  
Blogger Fornelli said...

I'm taking Pods tonight, and secretly praying that Ryan Sweeney starts for him instead.

9/06/2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Fornelli said...

Also, it's pretty obvious that Anon was Justin Morneau.

9/06/2006 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm..

I was almost certain it was Kenny Rogers.

Singer or SP, I'll let you decide.

9/06/2006 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter