Sunday, August 06, 2006

Maybe We Should Hire A Maid To Clean Up: 109 Thoughts

Sox Looooose 3-7

-This is getting ridiculous! The Sox have lost the ability to close out a sweep. I've been waiting for ages to post the broom pic; I think most readers have forgotten what it looks like, if they have even seen it. The Sox last successful sweep was June 20-23 vs the Cards. Since that series the Sox have blown 6 straight sweep chances. Under normal circumstances I would be quite pleased with 2/3, especially against a strong, albeit struggling team like Toronto, but at this point of the season every game counts. I would be far happier if the Sox swept the pitiful Royals and Orioles, but instead they needlessly gave up to games in the standing.

-I do realize I'm being completely greedy at this point. A few weeks ago, I would have been begging for the Sox to take 2/3, but it's go-time.

-For the third straight series the Sox blew the sweep after getting an early lead. Today they were up 3-0 entering the fourth, against KC they were up 2-1 in the fifth, and against the Orioles the Sox were up 4-2 after the top half of the sixth. I've said it plenty of times before, I really have, I'm just nagging at this point but the '05 Sox would be closing these games out.

-The Sox again jumped out to an early lead due to solid hitting. They went homerless again today, but racked up 10 hits. Thankfully the Sox weren't haunted by as many running blunders, although there was an Alex "Mr. Bacardi" Cintron caught stealing.

-It's shocking to see Jose not only give up a lead, but also to give up so many runs. Jose gave up 4 runs and the lead in the fourth; he then seemed to tire and gave up 2 more in the seventh. (One run was an inherited runner that MacDougal allowed to score). I'm longing for the early season Contreras, for the pitcher that you could depend on each and every start.

-The left side of the infield was out due to back injuries. Both Crede and Uribe should be back for tomorrow's game against the Angels.

-Offensively, we didn't do anything spectacular; Thome, JD, and BA had multi hit games. Everyone stuck out once, except for AJ who didn't strike out at all.

-Big Ups of the Day to Cotts for coming in and striking out the only batter he faced. It seems like a long time since he's done that.

Sox Player of the Game





Jim Thome (12)





Sox Record: 65-44

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeeves said...

Don't know where to put this, so I'm going to put it here.

Call it sour grapes if you much, but I was ashamed to see Ivan Rodriguez jumping and leaping about like a little kid after hitting a walkoff homer off of Fausto Carmona. I know he was excited that he had won the team the game, but he's not a rookie. Fausto, on the other hand, is a rookie and seeing I-Rod's Joe Carter-esque reaction can hardly make things easier for him after a rough (and that's an understatement) week. I guess I just figured Ivan would show a touch more class.

8/06/2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Sounds like today's game was lousy. I caught none of it since I was recovering from Buffet, but this not finishing teams off is gonna hurt in the end. The Sox need a killer instinct, and they need some swagger. They need to play with a chip on their shoulders and tell everyone else, hey, we're the champs!

8/06/2006 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter