Saturday, July 01, 2006

How About That For Retribution?: Game 80 Thoughts

Sox win! 8-6

-How sweet was AJ's homer? Pierzynski blew his shot to be the hero in the seventh, but he certainly came through in the ninth. Cubs fans now actually have a real reason to hate him, rather than hating him for getting punched by Barrett.

-The offense was clicking today and it was aided by the wind. They belted out 15 hits and 4 dingers, scoring 7 of their 8 runs via the longball.

-Every Sox starter, except Uribe had a hit today. AJ and Joe Clutch had three hits apiece.

-The hitting was good today, but the pitching didn't exactly follow suit. Vazquez struggled again, giving up 5 runs and 11 hits in 6 innings of work. As usual, he showed flashes of brilliance but left too many pitches up in the zone.

-The hitting was there, but at times the execution was horrible. (Thanks James for reminding me) We had three inning ending DPs as well as two popped up bunts for outs. The Sox bunting capabilities are as hot and cold as Juan Uribe.

-Riske was bound to have a shaky outing; he gave up the go ahead run on the Jones homer, but he loooked okay before he came up.

-Jenks was lights out as usual. I have an unbelievable amount of trust in him.

-After talking about Pods' recent struggles on the basepath, he of course goes out and steal third. I love how Pods always steals third successfully. I guess the view from second gives him a better read on the pitcher's delivery.

-Speaking of baserunning, AJ threw out two runners today.

-The Sox wrapped up another series win. They've now won 9 consecutive series. If the Sox continue to take care of business like this, I have no fear that we'll be able to catch the Motor City Kitties for the division title.

-Big Ups of the Night to the whole team for coming back from behind 3 separate times.

Sox Player of the Game





AJ Pierzynski (4)








Sox Record: 51-27

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeeves said...

Ok group ruling.

From our picks, I'd say the only one that clicked was Crede. Agree or disagree?

And does my pick of Crede count?
I picked after the game started, but he was 0-1 at the time.

7/01/2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Kelley said...

I say you have to have your PtC in before game time. Not to be a hard-ass but I think it's only fair.

That being said, I think PK "clicked" with his homer, even if he had a GIDP after that. So you'd still win.

Big ups to Ross Gload for the two-out single when everyone thought it was a lost cause. I'm really getting overwhelmed by the negativity over on southsidesox. I mean, I get bummed out during games, and particularly lately, where everything seems to be late-inning, no real routs, but come on! Nine straight series wins?? They're not the perfect team, and the Vasquez acquisition is starting to look very suspect but sheesh! A killer offense, a good to great bullpen, and five starters with 7 wins... Still the second best record in baseball ... and a NEVER SAY DIE ATTITUDE.

But maybe it's just the cubs that bring it out in everyone.

7/01/2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Kelley said...

Oh, just wanted to add that tomorrow marks the 1/2 way point of the season. If we win, we're on pace for 108 wins. If we lose, we're on pace for 106 wins. Four players are on pace for 110 RBIs, and two for 20 win seasons (if Mark wins tomorrow). And we've got the major's leader in saves.

Sadly, we won't have the national league central to kick around anymore...

Hope someone will do a midway grades post on Monday!

7/01/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

about picks to click: I agree with Jonathan, you gotta have it in before the game

sorry about not getting one in on time either, but I was nursing a nasty hangover, a hangover that was instantly cured when AJ killed the cubs

just awesome...but, this was actually a pretty ugly game...3inning ending, rally killing double plays, two failed bunt attempts (pop-outs both), Vazquez continues to mystify me with his lousy pitch selection after two outs (and two strikes), how this guy had such a high strike out total in past years is beyond me, Ozzie NOT going to cotts against Jones...we were bailed out by the putridity of the cubs

I know we won but I don't feel that great about this game...how great is that, that we can complain about a "bad" win...it's an embarrassment of riches

7/01/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Sounds good. In the future if the preview isn't up in time, go ahead and comment on the latest post and i'll take note of it when i do put up the preview.

Thanks for catching what I forgot about James. I don't know how but I forgot the Sox lack of execution. I just added that in to the post.

7/01/2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Kelley said...

Woo hoo to the Pirates! I know it's wrong to scoreboard watch in June or July or whatever but it did my heart good to see the tigers commit 5 errors, give up 13 hits, and lose by 7. Now, Minnesota, any time you want to stop winning so much is fine with me!

7/01/2006 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter