Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Ho-Hum, and a Win That Was Supposed to Happen: Game 76 Thoughts

Sox Win! 4-2

  • Okay, two days off for the White Sox is not a good thing. Thank God they were playing the woeful Pirates who have now lost 12 games in a row. After the "moral victory" loss in 13 innings, I'm betting that the Sox were chomping at the bit to get back on the field and get back to winning.
  • Case in point...baserunning blunders nearly lost this game for the Sox. I'm not so upset about the Pods CS cuz he gets paid to steal and his number stealing third are really good, but Pierzinski's blunder leading to Thome getting run down was stupid and JD getting doubled off second was just boneheaded.
  • Fifteen hits lead to 4, count 'em, 4 runs. The Sox have to get better run production than that. Against a good team, we might lose this game.
  • Praise goes to Pods who is driving in runs when we need them. He had one tonight to give him 30 this year. He had 25 all of last year. When Mack and Juan (Buehrle doesn't count, he's a pitcher) get four hits, Pods is gonna have to drive them in.
  • Jermaine "MVP" Dye broke out of his slump with three hits including 2 doubles, and Jim Thome continues to drive in runs with two more tonight.
  • I gotta take Ozzie to task a little tonight though. In the ninth inning after Thome singles in a run, why not use a pinch runner like Pablo? We all know he's gonna be replaced by Ross Gload at first for defensive reasons (and I'm glad he did cuz Ross saved a few errors in the ninth), so why risk injury to Thome on a potential slide and it clearly cost the Sox a run on Dye's double.
  • Brian Anderson returned from his suspension, but Ozzie gave mack the start most likely cuz it was his first game back to Pittsburgh, the home of his great Cub-destroying days.
  • As for the pitching, it was an effecient outing by Buerhle (and may have earned him an all-star nod), and the relievers, Jenks and McCarthy, were strong. But remember it was the Pirates. I had a softball game tonight and I missed the first few innings, so I expected the score to be something around 7-1 but it was 3-0 and I was a little down. After the Wilson HR in the seventh, Ozzie made the correct move in pulling Mark.
  • My player of the game is Jim Thome cuz he drove in two meaningful runs including a huge insurance run in the ninth.
  • My Big Ups goes to the Pirates for being a sorry ass team. Just kidding. Big Ups to the pitching staff for beating a team they were supposed to beat.
  • (Note to Jeeves: I hope this is okay. I didn't update the PotG stats on the sidebar cuz, honestly, I'm not sure how to. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to change.)
Sox Player of the Game



Jim Thome (9)

Sox Record 50-26

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeeves said...

Great work James!

I really enjoyed the wrap up, and thanks for filling in. In the future (including when I'm done with my work at this camp) if you ever see the site and I haven't posted about the game yet, you can feel free to post about it. I won't feel encroached upon or anything. The most important thing is just to get our thoughts up as soon as we can.

You can't change the sidebars, only the "owner" of the site can.

Also, I'll make the pick to click counter as well, Starting with game 78 (or as soon as we figure out how we want to run it).
The question is, how do we want to run it? We could do one point for whomever's pick did the best, and then a bonus point if they're chosen as the PotG or we could do it without the bonus point, or you only get a point if you get the PotG correct. Let me know what y'all prefer.

6/28/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

One other thing with regards to the PtC counter...
Do we want to go back and look at previous games that we've chosen players for, or just start fresh?
Again, I'm fine either way.

6/28/2006 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another thought...your pick to click doesn't necessarily have to be player of the game...what if the sox win a 8-4 game and two different picks to click both have 2 rbi's? pick to click is a little more objective than player of the game...I say you can have more than one PtC winner per day

as for the PtC counter...I'd say no bonus points just a single point if your pick clicks, and we have the choices written in stone, or more truly, script, so we could go back and add those up...but it'd be easier to just start from scratch and give everyone a chance to chime in...if someone new decides to make a pick, just add him/her to the list

6/28/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

That's more along the lines that I was thinking of.
So how exactly should we go about ruling if our pick clicked?

And we'll start couting once we figure this out.

6/28/2006 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter