Sunday, October 08, 2006

White Sox Player Grades

Now that schooooool's.out.for.summer. It's time to hand out the end of the year grades. I may come off as a hard teacher and grader, but that's because I'm not grading solely on performance. I'm also grading against expectations coming into the season, so consider that the curve.

Pitchers

Period 1

Mike MacDougal, A+: You can’t argue with a 1.80 ERA
Matt Thornton, A: Most people thought he was just going to be a waste of space, but posted a 3.33 ERA, good for second on the team.
Jeff Nelson, Inc: Can’t judge on just 6 games of work. He’s like the kid that got mono and disappeared for the whole year.
Sean Tracey, A-: For performance, F: For following directions.
Charlie Haeger, B: He scared us all his first time up in the bigs, but did well his second time around.
David Riske, B-/B: He’s a good arm to have in the bullpen, but not the lights out pitcher you would want out there in a tight spot.
Bobby Jenks, A+ for the first half, and a B for the second half. Grade = A-/B+
Dustin Hermanson, Inc: Can’t judge on just 6 games of work. He’s like the kid that got mono at the start of the year, and came back right at the end.
Jose Contreras, See Bobby Jenks
Jon Garland, See Bobby Jenks, but flip grades for first and second half
Freddy Garcia, C-: Too bad he didn’t pitch like he did in September all year long.
Brandon McCarthy, B+ as a starter or in appearances where he worked like a starter, but C- as a reliever.
Javier Vazquez, C-
Mark Buehrle, D, for dreadful
Agustin Montero, F, for fat
Neal Cotts, F, for fat pitches
Boone Logan, F, for freakin' Daniel Boone
Cliff Politte, F-, for farewell

Class Average: C+

Hitters

Period 2


Paul Konerko, A: He produced after signing a fat contract, while carrying the title of Captain. An iffy back in the second half slowed him a bit.
Tadahito Iguchi, B: His situation hitting wasn’t as good as last year, but is AVG and HR were up.
Joe Crede, A-: A bad back cost him of an A or an A+ season down the stretch.
Jermaine Dye, A+: He surpassed all expectations and made a run at the MVP.
Scott Podsednik, F: Poor SB% and a poor OBP are not what you want from your leadoff man.
AJ Pierzynski, A: He produced at the plate.
Jim Thome, A-/A: Hs came flying out of the gate, but faded a bit down the stretch.
Juan Uribe, F: .235 AVG.
Brian Anderson, D+: As much as I have defended him in the past, that .225 AVG is an eyesore. I hope he comes out on fire next year, because I like him a lot.
Alex Cintron, B+/A-: He did what he was brought in to do. He was solid, but not spectacular at the plate and in the field.
Rob Mackowiak, B+: It’s not his fault he was marched out there in CF. He hit well, and played hard.
Pablo Ozuna, A: I’m overlooking his early season woes in the field, much as I overlooked Rob’s woes in the field.
Ross Gload, A: Professional hitter. He produced when he was in.
Sandy Alomar Jr., D: He couldn’t hit, and Buehrle actually pitched worse when he was behind the plate.
Ryan Sweeney, Inc.
Josh Fields, Inc.
Christ Stewart, Inc.

Class Average: B

Clearly the hitters outperformed the pitchers this year. Hopefully after a summer's worth of rest, the pitchers can rebound with a stellar year next year.

8 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

That class average 'B' for the hitters is masquarading for the 'A' you wanted to put there. My god, Jeeves, you were kind. For me, two, maybe three, hitters would have earned A's. Four at the absolute most.

And a 'D' for Mark Buehrle?!?!?!? I think you know where I stand on his grade.

I woulda gave him a 'Y-' as in "Y the hell did Ozzie keep throwing him out there?"

10/08/2006 6:18 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I had to give out the A's. The hitters did their jobs; they met/exceeded expectations.
Paulie, JD, Crede, and Thome were givens as A's.
AJ had a really good season at the plate. He raised his avg nearly 50 pts from last year and still had the second highest HR total of his career.
I may have been a bit generous with Absolut, but I expected bupkus from him.
Pablo and Gload just produced.

As far as class avg is concerned...I actually used the formula from my highschool. Assigning an A+ 12 pts, A 11 pts, A- 10 pts, etc. and then averaging the value.

10/08/2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I was thinking the same thing, but as I looked through some stats, I realized down the stretch, he was our best hitter. When our offense was struggling the most in September, he hit .344 with 6 homers. I'd hate to think how we would have fared without him.

I don't know if it rectifies my feeling that he let us down in the clutch, but it shows that true performance can be clouded to the naked eye.

10/10/2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I'll take a look into it

10/11/2006 12:28 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I know these numbers are gonna shock you Dickie, cuz they sure as hell shocked me...

Innings 1-6, .311 AVG, .375 OBP, .542 SLG, .917 OPS

Innings 7+, .316 AVG, .396 OBP, .576 SLG, .972 OPS

The differences aren't staggering but he's acutally, surprisingly better in the later innings.

His numbers also get better as more and more people are on base.

No one on - .279 AVG, .347 OBP, .510 SLG, .857 OPS

Men on - .348/.415/.594/1.009

Sacks packed - .444/.462/.667/1.128

I'll see if I can track down inning by inning.

I'm not sure what to make of these numbers. I don't know why both of us would have the wrong hunch. Maybe since Paulie is the team leader and our captain and all, we unknowingly hold him to a higher standard. So when he does well, it's sort of expected, but in the times he does fail, it just sitcks out in our minds that much more.

It may be like the A-Rod thing, albeit to a much more minor degree. People tend to overlook when he does well, because he's expected to and instead focus in on his failures.

10/11/2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Here's Kong by inning. (AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS) (I put a * near the top three performances for each category)

1 - .281/.359/.625/.984
2 - .303/.343/.561/.904
3 - .274/.342/.452/.794
4 - .320/.388/.467/.855
5 - .327*/.367/.473/.840
6 - .357*/.444*/.643*/1.087*
7 - .333*/.397*/.596*/.993*
8 - .327*/.455*/.712*/1.167*
9 - .293/.333/.439/.772

I've got to take this a step further, so I'm going to look at his stats over his career, to see if there's any trend there with regards to the inning.

There aren't really any trends when over his career.

It's weird that this year his numbers are actually better toward the end of the game, save for the last inning when it would have seemed natural to think it would have been the other way around. It's also weird to see that he finished strong. He only struggled in May and in July, otherwise he was always hitting about .340.

I guess Paulie just deserves more credit

10/11/2006 12:53 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I've gon stat crazy! I pulled up Pods' numbers and I realized you dont want him batting in the first inning or the 8th or 9th inning. That means Pods leading off or ending the game is a bad thing. Pods hit .231 in the 1st inning, .213 in the 8th, and .167 in the ninth. Shitty I know. The one anomoly is that he's batting .533 in the 2nd, but that's due to the fact that the pitching has to be terrible for him to get up again in consecutive innings.

10/11/2006 12:57 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

No problem, Dickie. I'm hear to serve, and it was very helpful, because it helped dispel my mis-notions. (If that's not a word, I'm making it one)

10/12/2006 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter