Monday, October 30, 2006

Good! A Fan Getting His Comeuppance!

I generally don't editorialize that much. I like to stick to the lighter side of sports and just rant about things I'm passionate about, but reading this article made me genuinely happy.

Apparently some jackass named Hooman Hamzehloui, a season ticket holder for the Magic, called Dikembe Mutombo a monkey during a preseaon game between the Magic and the Rockets. This isn't what made me happy, don't worry, what did make me happy was finding out that this shithead was banned by the NBA and by the Magic for a year.

Seriously, who does that? That's a terrible thing to say. I don't mind some good natured heckling, but that's crossing the line. That's hurtful and just plain ugly. This name even got the mild mannered Mutombo worked up. He started yelling at Hamzehloui and started gesturing at him from the floor.

I don't understand why someone would ever heckle Dikembe Mutombo. Ever since he stopped wagging his finger in people's faces after a block, (did he stop because of waht Jordan did or because he suddenly wasn't as good anymore?) he's been one of the most likeable players in the NBA. He's a constant humanitarian, spending a great deal of time and money in Africa. In '04 alone he donated $18.5 million of his own money to fund the opening of two hospitals.

Perhaps, I'm getting worked up, but just the ugliness of the taunt directed to such a good person riled me up. I mean go ahead and and heckle T-Mac for his bad back or Yao for being ridiculously tall, but don't cross the racial lines, please.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fornelli said...

Who want's to sex the monkey Mutombo?

To be fair, the guy claims he had no idea of the racial connotations behind calling Mutombo a monkey.

With a name like Hooman Hamzehloui that's not too hard to believe either.

He also wrote Mutombo a letter apologizing for the incident.

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna take my cracker ass outside and oppress some muthafuckin minorities bitch.

10/30/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

More racial slurs...

Hooman Hamzehlouri sounds like the name of a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz.

I hope the Union of Munchkins workers Local 708 doesn't sue me.

10/31/2006 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter