Sunday, October 01, 2006

And So It Ends: Game 162 Thoughts

Sox lose (fittingly) 1-5

-A lot of recent trends held up today. The Tigers losing, check. The Sox blowing a shot at a sweep, check. Jeeves having to keep the broom pic stored away, check. The Twins winning the division check. I don't know why I expected the Sox to sweep the series, but I thought for sure this series would end differently.

-****Warning, warning, talk focusing solely on the Tigers coming up****
I don't know if we have any Tigers' fans amongst our readership, but I would be very, very worried in Detroit right now. The Tigers just absolutely collapsed down the stretch, losing 5 straight plus, today they blew a 6 run lead. It would be one thing if they lost 5 straight, yet held onto the divison crown, but the team must be absolutely disheartened by getting the WC. Of course, for all I know, the Tigers could have tanked it so that they would be able to avoid the A's and face the Yanks instead. But conspiracy theories aside, I'm rooting for the Tiggers against the Yanks, but I'm not very hopeful.
****You may now continue reading your normally scheduled White Sox writing****

-I don't know why, but Ozzie suddenly decided the youngsters and the bench guys needed some PT. If those lineups from earlier in the season were known as Sunday Lineups, I don't know what you'd call this one.

Sweeney - RF
Ozuna - 2B
Gload - 1B
Thome - DH
Fields - 3B
Pierzynski - C
Cintron - SS
Mackowiak - LF
Anderson - CF

Only AJ and Thome can be considered every day starters. I WISH we could have considered BA an everyday starter, but Ozzie had other plans.

-All the bench players contributed something, while all the starters (and here I'm including BA) gave us bupkus. Thome, AJ, and BA combined to go 0-9. The rest of the team wasn't spectacular though. They combined to go 8-25.

-The offense didn't bring much, nor did Javy. He labored (93 pitches) through 4 2/3 innings and gave up 4 runs. I wonder if he would have blown up in the sixth had he gotten that far. Low blow, I know, he's been better this month, but I'm still frustrated.

-Haegar is looking more and more like he could be a useful pitcher for us come next season. He went 3 innings and gave up 1 run, and the Twins had the added support of a Pablo Ozuna error that inning.

-Speaking of Pablo, this is a quirky little stat; his error today was his frist error of the season. I guess all thos misplays earlier in the season didn't count as errors.

-Today isn't the day to wax poetic about the Sox' season, that will com later in the off season. Today is just the day to remember this game as yet another game in a long series of frustrating performances.

Sox Final Record for the Season: 90-72

1 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

So be it...

(Go Bears!)

10/02/2006 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter