Monday, November 06, 2006

Rumblings on Turnovers and the Dolphins

I think I've unlocked the key to a Super Bowl victory for the Bears. No, I'm not expecting any payment as a consultant from the Bears or anything like that; a Super Bowl win would be payment enough. But after watching hours of game film, and analyzing blitz schemes and nickel packages alike, I've figured things out. Turnovers. Now, now, I know what you're thinking, that's an easy answer, it's obvious, yadda yadda, but seriously just a cursory look at the numbers paints a telling story.

Bears 26 Green Bay 0
Turnover battle- 1 :3

Bears 34 Detroit 7
Turnover battle - 1:3

Bears 19 Minnesota 16
Turnover battle - 2:2

Bears 37 Seattle 6
Turnover battle - 0:2

Bears 40 Buffalo 7
Turnover battle - 1:5

Bears 24 Arizona 23
Turnover battle - 6:2

Bears 41 San Fran 10
Turnover battle - 0:5

Bears 13 Miami 31
Turnover battle - 6:2

Against Minnesota we had equal TO's, and in the game we should lost and the game we did lose, we lost the battle 6:2. It's not coincidental at all that those numbers are the case. This game really stood out in particular. It seemed like every turnover either snuffed a scoring threat (i.e. Gage's fumble) or gave Miami points or at the least ridiculous starting position (i.e. Hester fumble at our 6, Taylor's pick for six, Hill's pick returned to our 24).

We have a ridiculously dominant defense, but even the greatest defense will give up points if the opposition continuously has a short field. The offense needs to learn to hang onto the ball, and Rex has to make sure to throw off his back foot as little as possible. I know it's an overused saying now, but Rex does have a little Favre in him, but let's use the mid 90's Favre, ok Rex?

As long as the Bears can keep their TO's in check, I have confidence that they will win, but if we have any more 6 turnover outbursts, you can end all hopes of repeating the 85 Bears' 15-1 season.

Oh yah, speaking of those Bears...Why the hell did we have to lose to the DOLPHINS? I would have accepted a loss to the Giants no problem, but of course it had to be to the damn Dolphins. Just like '85 they ruin our party. I bet Shula and all those other old timers are having themselves a good laugh. I almost hope the Colts go undefeated just to shut them up, and just to make our Super Bowl win all that much more impressive.

3 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

I think I'm in complete agreement with you, Jeeves, about the Colts going undefeated -- but losing to the Bears in the Superbowl. Too much of a Manning is never good thing.

11/06/2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I'm confident in my total lack of confidence for Rex. There's still hope for him though. He definitely has the ability to be a solid/great QB for us, but I'm always worried he'll blow up.

To continue the Brett Favre analogy; I'm worried he'll put up a line like Favre's 6 pick day against St. Louis.

He can earn some trust from me by playing well on this east coast swing.

11/06/2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Yah...people will start fawning over Manning the way they do Brady, if he ever wins a Super Bowl.

11/06/2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter