Monday, June 12, 2006

Game 63 Thoughts

-Contreras was absolutely dealing until the 5th inning. I don't know if this is part of the reason, but one of the announcers blamed the flair up on the fact that it he hadn't really pitched out of the stretch during the game. He had only allowed one baserunner before that inning. It's possible that this affected his pitching, but it's also possible he just didn't hit his spots that inning. I just thought it was an interesting observation.

-Yes, that's 15 straight decisions with W. Last L, was Aug 15 of last season.

-The Sox looked to be in control of this game the whole time. When I saw Juanny and Anderson get back to back hits, I knew there was no way we were going to lose this game.

-The black hole at the bottom of our lineup, known as Uribe and Anderson combined for 3 hits and 3 runs. BA also worked a nice walk after falling behind 1-2.

-Everyone but Joe Clutch got a hit today. Crede actually should have had a hit, but his screamer was knocked down by the pitcher and went straight to the SS. He hit it so hard that Koronka's glove came off.

-"In the next 6 games, I want at least 4 wins with at least two of them coming against the Tigers. I don't care if we win both series, or if we take all three from the Tigers and then just 1 from Cleveland. Give me 2 wins against the Tigers and 4 out of 6 overall, and I'll be happy (sort of)." This is what I said before, and we reached that goal. I would have been happier had we converted one of the sweeps, but the Sox met my goal.

-Just an interesting stat I saw...The Sox are 12-6 (.667) against teams that are over .500 and 26-18 (.591) against teams that are below .500. The Sox fattened up against weak teams, but are still taking care of business against the good teams. If we played better against the bad teams, we could be ahead of last year's pace. The Tigers on the other hand are 12-14 (.462) overall against +.500 teams (and 1-5 against the Sox) and 28-9 (.757) against sub.500 teams. I'm not saying to discount the Tigers as a threat, I just thought I'd throw this out there.
{EDIT} I know that the games against +.500 teams is a small sample size, but I just thought the stat was interesting because it seems like the Sox raise their level of their play against the good teams, which can be a good and bad thing. It's good as long as they can consistently hit that next gear, but if they cruise too much they could bounce out of the playoffs like the Pistons did.}

Sox Player of the Game

The Offense must be rewarded and Pods probably had the best game offensively speaking.





Scott Podsednik (5)







And thanks to Jonathon Kelley for knocking some sense into me. Thanks to him we've got co-PotG, only because of my stubborness and my desire to reward the offense for 8 runs.





Jose Contreras (5)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those stats are kinda deceiving cuz we are under .500 against the indians, and they shouldn't be under .500

but otherwise, we've lost once to the tigers, which in all honesty is probably why we are as close to them as we are

I know, the two paragraphs are contradicting, but it just goes to show that the season is very long and things aren't always as they seem

6/13/2006 4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One other thing

Jose Contreras is just plain nasty...

Oh to have those 2 starts he missed back

6/13/2006 4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous was me, by the way, and Jose should get the Cy if he keeps it up

6/13/2006 4:24 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Contreras for should be pegged as Cy Young.

Along with that, I can see Thome getting comeback player and potentially MVP. I do think JD would be more deserving of MVP, but he isn't as visible to the nat'l media as Thome is. Crede defintely deserves a gold glove, and Anderson deserves one for his defense, but there's no way in hell he's going to get it with the wa he's swinging the bat and the fact that he's off the field half the time.

6/13/2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter