Tuesday, August 15, 2006

R.I.P. "6th Inning Javy", We Hardly Knew Ye

Sox Lose, 4-2, The Masses Gnash Their Teeth

Ozzie Guillen suffered from the same mental lapse that I did. I was watching a fairly weak, but acceptable match tonight for five innings, and hardly noticed that crooked 6 come up onto the scoreboard. Had I known, my heart would have twisted in anxiety, my ears would have correctly identified the howling of dogs and wailing of cats outside my window as a dire warning, and I would have screamed "He's done, he did his job, it's the 6th inning, PUT SOMEONE ELSE IN FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS!"

Alas, the costly mistaken negated an otherwise solid, if uninspiring job by Javy, en route to a 4-2 loss. He threw some meatballs in the 5th, and one didn't get caught. Mark "I told you to drill him" Teahan sent a straight-away bomb the likes you'd think to be impossible by someone with something as sissy as "tea" in his name. Brian again has proven to be the most motivated Sox hitter, drilled a double down to left, and of course he got robbed for his efforts by an idiot fan. Still, he and Tadahito had some excellent clutch hitting, and Pod's sac fly was something to earn a tip of the cap. Unfortunately, clutch hitting was really all we had, I would have much preferred 4 non-clutch home runs to seal the game away 15-4.

Roon-Elvis, amazingly, pitched well. He threw some great change-ups to keep our hitters off balance, and didn't give up the sweet spot of the plate too often. Today the Royals played like a team that doesn't deserve the record they have. They've played us way too hard all year, and they continued fighting the hopeless good fight tonight. Excepting Javy's gopher balls and Dye's dropped ball, the Sox really didn't suck this game, they just didn't wake up, didn't bring the pain.

Still, we had some nice hits from unlikely sources, and the bullpen was solid again. This game was not an abomination upon the eyes of God. We just...okay, I admit it, we sucked. We didn't suck AND blow, we just sucked. I'm certain the guys'll do better tomorrow. Let's all just sleep on it, let this game pass like ships in the night, and make it up tomorrow.

White Sox Player of the Game:












Brian Anderson pulls down this award for the second straight night for having a clutch double (with a robbed RBI) and for NOT having any defensive miscues, unlike Tadahito, Jermaine, hell take your pick. Props to Juan and Pods, each had a hit and a nice defensive play early in the game. Otherwise, our team looked sleepy, and nobody jumped up and said "I deserve this!"

4 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

My Big Ups of the game goes to David Riske who came in and held KC right where Javy left them.

Listless and disinterested is the way I saw this effort. After I posted the preview, I thought maybe the jinx was in with Elvyz...apparently the team did too.

Except of course for BA...

Pods is at the other end of the pendulum right now, not incurring our wrath.

We gotta get 'em tomorrow. I'm fairly certain we will with Count pitching.

8/15/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Pander said...

By the by...Mark Teahan?

Icalledat.

8/16/2006 12:44 AM  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

When Teahan hit that, I was cursing your name, Pander. :-P

Can we all give Joey Cora a little bit of grief for inexplicably sending Gooch at such a bad time that Grudz coulda finished War and Peace before he threw Gooch out at home?

8/16/2006 5:33 AM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I can't say I'm happy with the offense's performance. 2 runs isn't going to cut it, unless Jose is on the mound and even then, that's pushing it.

2 runs against the Royales with cheese...pitiful

8/16/2006 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Hit Counter