Monday, May 01, 2006

April Powers

First month of the 2006 season is in the books and I think I was most impressed with the power hitting of the Sox.

Certainly Thome takes center stage with an as impressive debut as any new player would want to have with a new team. His Slugging % is Ruthian at .713 He was our mainstay early on till Paulie and Dye started finding their grooves. I put Crede in this power category too as he seems to come up with extra base hits when vitally needed and his slug% is decent at .550. Dye is my MVP for April for great sticking and equally great glove and arm. He's been accident prone in past and I hope his current sit is no biggie. Him and Crede give our line-up a fear factor for opposing pitchers from top to number 6 - and dare I say to # 7 with AJ hitting .342 ?

I like our defense next and have seen many great plays already from Dye, Anderson, and Crede specifically. The only falterings on D have been with the "B" squad out there as Jeeves has noted .

Last up is the pitching - brilliant at times and with much promise, but still a ways to go to equal the level we closed out with in 2005. Don't get me wrong on this, I'm not dissing the staff - it's just that they are SO SO talented and they need to get more consistent to get us through spells up the road where the hitting will take inevitable breaks. Contreras has been awesome, Buehrle quite good, and Jenks / Cotts coming around. I expect great things out of this staff and I think Kenny is still on the lookout for some more help in the pen. If all goes as I think it will - I think Coop will have all our pitching fine-tuned by the end of this season and the Thornton / Jenks combo will be the rage !

Bring on May !!

3 Comments:

Blogger zokmaad said...

No discussion on D would be complete without mentioning how shakey Pods has looked in left. As far as the starters go I think Vasquez deserves a mention. He's had one bad inning this year. Polite and Cotts started April shakey and finished well. BMac started strong and finished pretty weak.

5/01/2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger DickdaStick said...

Tonight I quess was pretty bad per what I hear...I didn't see it. Was Pods this bad on D last year too - or is this a recent aberration ?

and you are absolutely right on Vaz...he has a real good K / BB ratio and has flashed no-hit type of stuff this year. Better than I thought he was going to be for us - certainly better than almost any other "5th" starter

5/01/2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger Jeeves said...

I think his D is a recent trend this year. I blamed it earlier on his struggles at the plate and on the basepaths, but he seems to be coming around now, so I really don't know.

I think he was just too non-chalant when he dropped the ball yesterday. I think he just took the out for granted, and that's why he dropped it.

And I really liked the post, by the way

5/02/2006 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Hit Counter